Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Life of Purpose and Dreams


Why is it, when we were kids, we knew what we wanted to be when we grew up, but then as grownups, we lose site of that dream. I think it's a crime for people, places, or things to stand in the way of our dreams. It's a life sentence in solitary confinement, when we're the ones standing in our own way. It may have been a well meaning parent, or family member, following in their parents foot steps. Trying to guide us with tough love. Telling us our dreams were just that, dreams. Believing you only get somewhere in life through hard work and sacrifice. Trying to project their fear based reality on us.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a rock star. Who didn't? I was the lead singer in a band during High School. But, after hearing “You need to get a real job, you'll never make it as a singer” I let that dream go. I knew I was creative, and I wanted to do something in the arts, but all I ever heard was “It takes a nine to five job, real hard work, long hours....”. You know the rest. I'm sure you've all heard that at some point in your life. It was about a title, and how much I made, not whether or not I was happy or fulfilled. I wanted to be a writer.  My 11th Grade English teacher told me “You can't spell, you'll never be a writer”. So, once again I walked away from another dream.

Becoming a Mom was a dream I was never going to walk away from. Even when I heard “You have to married first”. Nope....that wasn't my intention at that moment. It was all about having a baby. Two years later, my dream came true. Then again 6 years later, another dream came to life. I was meant to be a Mom, and I was blessed with 2 amazing daughters. My girls are my inspiration. I do everything in my power to encourage them to follow their dreams. To take risks, to take chances, to live THEIR life, and to love what they do. To FEAR NOTHING! At a very young age, Katie wanted to grow up to be a Veterinarian . She now attends a Vet Tech Program in college. Sarah wants to be a Photographer, and she's doing it too! She plans on furthering her career after high school. Both my girls are doing what THEY wanted! I pray they never ever lose sight of their dreams. They are talented women, and I know they are destined for great things.

So, isn't it our turn? Don't we deserve to live our dream, to love what we do, to live our purpose? I say HELL YES IT'S OUR TURN!! So what are we waiting for? What are you allowing to stand in your way? People, places and things have no power over us. No matter what we've been told. We are ALL destined for great things! It's time we stood up for the child inside us, and allowed the dreams to come forward. If we dream it, it will come!

Knowing our thoughts create our destiny, why would you ever want to listen to the negative voices, others or your own. The joyful people I know today, surround themselves in positive light. They live their dreams, they live each day with purpose. The negative people I know, work 9-5 in jobs they hate, with people they hate, and begin to hate themselves. JUST STOP IT! If working 9-5 is what fires you up, then embrace it. Love it! But if you find yourself sitting in solitary confinement, it's time to reach for the key my friend. We are not promised tomorrow, don't waist another second in your personal prison.

Parents, lets empower our kids. Show them it's a beautiful thing to dream, and if they build it, it will come. Encourage them to fear nothing, and to believe in themselves.

For me, I'm putting my money where my mouth is...I'm moving forward with my writing dream. Can't wait to send my first book to my 11th Grade English teacher. It's never too late!

Blessing,
Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment